If you know me too well, this novel is a taboo! But my friendly colleague, who also owns the book, encouraged me to read it with mature mind. I’m glad I have read this.
The story itself strikes me. I must admit that I can understand Mary as a woman of dreams and true love. I found myself stopping in few reflective lines written in that book.
- “I’ve already been here an eternity, I don’t speak the language, I spend all day listening to music on the radio, looking around my room, thinking about Brazil, longing for work to begin and, when I’m working, longing to get back to the boarding house. In other words, I’m living the future not the present’” – I’ve been here more than I said to myself that I would be here. I have extended my stay but future inspires me.
- “In love, no one can harm anyone else; we are each of us responsible for our own feelings and cannot blame someone else for what we feel” – I should not blame you for all those times.
- “No one loses anyone, because no one owns anyone. That is the true experience of freedom: having the most important thing in the world without owning it. “– People commit mistakes when they tend to own something or someone forgetting that they don’t actually own them. I am guilty.
- “I need to love–that’s all, I need to love. Life is too short, or too long, for me to allow myself the luxury of living it so badly.” – We all need love. Enough said?
- When a teacher helps someone to discover something, the teacher always learns something new too.– From a teacher’s perspective, this is true. Each class and each student give learning to teachers. Awww – makes me remember my teaching days, my happy months being in a noble place at school. I’m sure to go back in this field, not just sure when. I’ll make myself better first.
- “She made this promise because she knew love’s traps all too well, and knew how easily they can change a woman’s mind.” – I have my own. Clock is ticking and there are only two things that could stop me. I am not to tell it here.
- When we meet someone and fall in love, we have a sense that the universe is on our side. And yet if something goes wrong, there is nothing left! How is it possible for the beauty that was there only minutes before to vanish so quickly? Life moves very fast. It rushes from heaven to hell in a matter of seconds.” – Love gives us the power to do impossible things.